Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Friday, March 7, 2008

debwa loves...

alton brown!

I <3 good eats. it is so informative! and iron chef. too bad he's a born again. when mr jones told me I almost didn't love him. religion ruins everything.


here is an interview he did w/ the buffalo news:


What "Good Eats" episode are you working on right now?

All I can tell you is that it's a show about freezing food. That's all I can tell you.

Aww. Is liquid nitrogen involved?

I am forbidden, in fact, from disclosing any of the details.

I read that you were picked up by Food Network for another three years.

Pick up is such a cheap term. It's kind of tawdry, as if I was looking for a ride or something. Let's just say the Food Network and I are continuing our allegiance to one another for three more years.

They still own the show itself.

They own Good Eats. Absolutely they own it. But, we kind of own it together. I mean … no, that's not true. I can't take it somewhere else, and I wouldn't take it someplace else.

But what you get from it is …

I get regular employment.

You also become one of the most recognizable faces on food television.

Oh good lord no. Gosh no. Where are you getting your numbers?

It wasn't me who replaced Emeril with Alton Brown.

I didn't replace Emeril by any stretch of the imagination. I think that it was simply that Emeril's show was going to kind of morph into something else, he's got other things to do, and Good Eats was close in its time frame already. We were already on at 7.

That is in no way, fashion or form a move up of any kind of ladder, by any means.

If there was one cooking technique you could teach average Americans, what would it be?

I've got a real thing about heat application. I think if there was going to be one thing that would really change a lot of people's cooking, it would be learning how to saute properly. Because not only is saute a manufacturing process in itself, it's a step in a lot of recipes. I see it done incorrectly more than I see mistakes made as much in other areas.

That's one thing I would bestow on everyone. Once you've got that down, it's a pretty powerful tool.

The number one mistake people make while trying to saute is?

Heat management. We are afraid of getting things hot enough in this country. We will choose a tool for the job based on its name instead of its characteristics. I hate that there's something called a saute pan. Because that tells people that's the pan for the job.

We don't often choose the correct vessel, and we often apply incorrect dosages of heat. That's not because we're bad people, it's just tricky. And if you're not taught how to do it, it's a very difficult thing to get.

it's really long -- the rest is here

No comments:

Post a Comment