Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Saturday, May 1, 2010

What's With This Summer's Blockbusters? - 2010 Edition

Well, here we go again. Another summer, another spate of wanna-be blockbusters littering the aisles of your local multiplexes.

Looks like I got my work cut out for me, seeing as last time I did this, there weren't as many that were screaming for my attention. This will be a bit bigger, but the content is worth it, baby. Trust me.

Shall we start?

IRON MAN 2































Gee, Robert Downey Jr's doing alright for himself, ain't he?

Now here he is on top of the world, thanks to the first Iron Man flick and another couple of hits along the way (Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes). So now comes the inevitable sequel - of which there will be many this season - and expectations run high. After all, this is Iron Man we're talking about, here.

I don't really see where this can go bad; 95% of the same actors, same director, following the more-or-less same Marvel comics arc, and the additions of Mickey Rourke and Scarlett Johansson - success seems all but guaranteed.

Trailer seems to suggest so, at any rate:



MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Pretty good. More of the same, but at least the same was pretty darned good to start with. And Scarlet Johansson in a tight leather suit? Get your fanboy motors runnin', fellas....

ROBIN HOOD


































Okay; Ridley Scott, director. Good. Russell Crowe, lead. At least he can do a believable British accent. The rest... mmm... I dunno; all I can think of now is Kevin Costner and then after him Robin Hood: Men in Tights. This may be good, but then again it may end up on home video in a month. I don't know if the public at large is ready to buy into the whole Robin Hood thing again. If nothing else, there'd better be a Sean Connery cameo at the end of THIS one.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Probably not. After being burned before, I shan't tarry into Sherwood Forest so readily again. Alack and alas....

SHREK FOREVER AFTER































Yeah, I was there for the first Shrek, and even the second one, and I even suffered through the third one, in spite of the repetitive nature the series was taking. This last one, however, seems to be at least taking the story in a different direction with one of those "make-a-wish-change-history" story lines that many fairy tales thrive on. And to see characters you remember suddenly become unaware of their pasts and have to get reacquainted may be kind of entertaining.

And any time I can see Antonio Banderas literally play a fat cat, that's a selling point.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Very high. I like this series pretty well, and anything that keeps Mike Myers from making a sequel to The Love Guru is good in my book.

SEX AND THE CITY 2


































What??! They made a sequel?? Did the first movie even MAKE money??? Was there a crying need for a movie version based on a TV show about a bunch of woman kibbitzing about sex and clothes and sex and so on really needing a movie, let alone a sequel??? Why am I using so many punctuation marks with this posting?? Because I'm flabbergasted that this got on one of my posts, what's why!!!!

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Gee lemme think; a chick move base don a chick show about chicks doing chick stuff? Hmm...let me think about that for a minNO.

MARMADUKE: THE MOVIE































Well, if you are the cartoonist responsible for "Marmaduke", then I guess you'd be thrilled to see a movie about him.

But whereas a comic strip movie like Over The Hedge at least had some hip sensibilities, irony and sarcasm going for it, this is a movie based on a comic strip about a big overgrown dog doing cute things. I don't care that it has Owen Wilson doing the voice of the dog: MARMADUKE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TALK. He doesn't even get thought bubbles in his strip. Stupid Hollywood....

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Nope. If I want to see a funny movie about a big dog doing cute things, I'll watch Disney's The Ugly Daschaund. At least that had Dean Jones.

THE KARATE KID































A remake.

Of a classic movie.

One that is fondly remembered.

That is still watched and appreciated to this day.

That is still relevant.

There are some remakes that are intriguing because of what they are going to incorporate into modern sensibilities.

What does this remake have to offer? Jackie Chan in the Pat Morita part.

That's it.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Pass. Glad to see Will Smith's kid get some screen time, but maybe dad should have got him a couple more scripts to go through....

THE A-TEAM































As soon as I heard they were remaking this, I thought it would never work.

Then I checked it out: Qui-Gon Jinn is going to be Hannibal Smith. He even LOOKS like George Peppard. On STEROIDS.

Lots of explosions and guns. Just like on the show.

Everybody here looks fit enough to play the parts of ex-military types doing dangerous stuff.

This might just work.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Why not? It has everything a child of the Eighties could want, and more. I just hope there's a Dirk Benedict cameo.

TOY STORY 3






























I have to. There's not even a discussion on this. I just have to.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Yes. Even if I didn't like this classic Pixar series, I want to find out how they explain the disappearance of Bo Peep.

JONAH HEX































To be honest, I completely forgot about this even being a comic book.

It was one of those I'd pass over on the comic book rack at Foodland on my way to read the latest issue of Sgt. Rock or Spider-Man or find out what dastardly plan Lex Luthor had that would fail again.

Hey, at at least has enough of a fan base to get a movie made about it. A successful movie? Remains to be seen. It's good to see Josh Brolin in something new, though. AND to see that Megan Fox has more male companionship than Shia LaBeouf.

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Nah; not after Howard the Duck tanked. I'm just wary about these things. And still, I half expect Nicolas Cage to pop up in this. He scares me....

THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE































Oh boy: TWEENIE STUFF!

Sparkling vampires! Homo-erotic werewolves! Emo chicks! Good vs. Evil...FOR KIDS!

MY VIEWING POSSIBILITY: Not even if they gave away a million dollars and free health coverage for you and your family for each viewer. I'll stick with Harry Potter...and I don't even watch those flicks OR read the books!

And with that, there you go; that should cover the first part of what's coming up. More will come when I darned well feel like it.

How you use this information is up to you...I can't make ALL your decisions!

Dope out.

- TGWD

No comments:

Post a Comment