Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Survived Another One...

Well, as this Sunday sinks slowly into the West, I sit here and reflect on the day that was my birthday and have come up with a few realizations:

1) Sometimes we all make too much of our age. I mean, it's good that we grow older, but so many of us make such a big deal about not being kids anymore...hey, you're young as you feel - you just have to keep active and make yourself get out there and do things. That's the best way to feel young, even if you're not.

2) Even if they don't say so, your friends will always be there for you. I know last year's big blow-up at the BMMB was entirely my fault, and I also know that everyone there is a better friend to me than I have been for them, I can only hope that in a year's time I have become somewhat wiser about things unsaid and feelings unshared. I love my friends - here nearby and out there in the cyber-world - and every thing I have posted here is because of them. Andrew - thank you. Patrick - thank you. Anonymous people - thank you. Even that Jacvk Harkness guy who complained about my Second Sight review - thank you for helping hone my snappy comebacks.

3) Keeping a blog helps keep my brain active. This is great and I know now why I'm posting so much more now than I used to - I appreciate the chance to think about what I write and, of all things, work on my spelling and typing skills. I think I've improved in both fields; and I think I'll have to watch some more of my movies to review on them.

4) And finally, life may be rough but not dwelling on it makes it bearable. Time was that I used to sit and fret over every single thing I did, didn't do and wished I had done. Tore me up - I had ulcerative colitis for years because of it. Now, I dwell far less - I still do it from time to time but drop it much quicker now - and feel much healthier for it. I just look forward, plan what is coming and make myself excited for what is to come. Keeps me young, I think.

I think those are important things to know, no matter what your age is.

My b'day itself was fine: got a $25 dollar Wal-Mart card from my sister, my kids took me out to Taco Bell for lunch, the wife got me some new work clothes (I have to be presentable, y'know...), and I got some new DVDs (The Holcroft Covenant, Ghostbusters 1 and 2 pack and the '70s Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - with Peter Sellers and Fiona Fullerton, that one). Nice day all around.

So, I guess my angst last year was unfounded as angst always is. The thing is, I guess I've matured quite a bit in a year's time. I'm proud of myself for that. And I guess that, more than anything, is the best birthday present I could ever have gotten.

Now that I have another birthday under my belt, I guess I can keep this same level of maturity up until next year.

I'll sure try.

Dope out.

-TGWD

No comments:

Post a Comment