Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Is It Too Much To Ask...? (Jerry Lewis Edition)

What's this? More than one posting in a month's time? Sumpthin's wrong....

Actually, I had this topic gnawing at my brain and thought it best to go ahead and give it voice (or text) so that I could at least get it out there to be perused by you, my faithful 12 readers.

What it is, is this: love him or hate him, Jerry Lewis is an important comic force in modern-day comedy and has done some important things.

As well as some downright stupid things.

And even a few relatively unknown things.

And then again he has also done some notorious things.

But what I am going to talk about is one of Jerry Lewis' unseen things.

You see, back in the early '70s, Jerry met with a movie producer named Nathan Wachsberger, the topic of their discussion being whether or not ol' Jer' would agree to star in a new film that would feature him in the starring role of a world-famous clown...

...wait for it...

...in World War II-era Germany, where he is arrested and placed in a concentration camp and, in a series of outlandish events, agrees to lead Jewish children to the gas chambers of Auschwitz.

Yes, I'm talking about The Day The Clown Cried (1972).
















And the fact of the matter is that the film does exist.

Just ask Subterranean Cinema.

Or Film Buff Online.

Or Shock Cinema Magazine.

The topper was that Jerry was not only going to star in this "legendary" film, but also direct and co-write the story as well (based as it was on a story by Joan O'Brien). A dream come true, right?

It would have been, if only Wachsberger had paid O'Brien fully for the use of her story. As it is, due to this, various lawsuits and unkept promises that resulted in litigation that to this day goes on, this is one of Jerry's movies that will never, EVER be seen by Mr. And Mrs. John Q. Public in this or any lifetime.

So, referring back to the title of my posting:

Is it too much to ask, Mr. Lewis, that perhaps your (only existing) copy of this film (which is in VHS format from what I understand) could be transferred from VHS to a nice, sharp DVD copy? Just to, you know, keep a pristine copy of your work for posterity - after all, you can never have too many copies of your original, just in case something happens to one.

If you feel this is a good idea, Mr. Lewis, may I offer my services; I happen to have a very nice VHS-to-DVD system in my home and would be more than happy to do this for you - and at no cost, of course. After all, it would be a pleasure to do something like this out of pure human kindness.

And what is there keeping me from copying a version of The Day The Clown Cried for my own use? Perish the thought; I would never think of capitalizing on someone else's hard work for personal gain. Put the thought clear out of your mind, sir - it is the furthest thing from my true intentions: to help preserve your good works.

So with this proposal in mind, Mr. Lewis, just PM me at this blog and I will contact you with my mailing address and, if so inclined, will even pay for postage to and from your mailing address. I promise a fast turn-around and a sharp copy for your own records and not to worry: I will use my own DVD stock for you to have as your own - so no money on your part at all!

I await your response eagerly.

And off the record, I thought your Nutty Professor was far better than Eddie Murphy's.

There. My first selfless act of 2009. And it's only August. If this works out I'll offer to watch the Crown Jewels and give those London BeefEaters a rest. Poor guys.

Dope out.

- TGWD

No comments:

Post a Comment