Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Monday, February 28, 2011

‘Hinduism to me is a way of life’ -MP Purandheshwari

‘Hinduism to me is a way of life’

Purandeswari

D. Purandeswari, Minister of State for Human Resource Development, MP from Andhra Pradesh, daughter of TDP founder N. T. Rama Rao.

What does spirituality mean to you?
In a narrower connotation, it would be about religion, but in a larger context, it is about compassion, responding to others’ needs. It is about service to mankind. And dedication to what I do gives me tremendous satisfaction.

Religion plays an important role for me. Hinduism is in fact a way of life. Going back to the old scriptures, they say “let noble thoughts permeate me from all directions” and I firmly believe in that. It means being open to whatever best others can give me and do my best for whoever is willing to receive it.


The scriptures also say: “to a narrow minded person, it is always yours and mine but to a large-hearted person, the whole world is but one family”. This saying is embedded on the Parliament’s central dome and it clearly tells us what India stood for, all these years.

Do you believe you are guided and protected by a superior force?
I must say that fate has its own uncanny ways. This belief was firmed up in me after some significant events in my life. For instance, I never thought I would ever be in politics. Even one day before my name was announced as the Congress candidate, I was not aware I would be running. My father, N.T. Rao, and my husband had been in politics, but the need or aspiration to enter them had never even occurred to me. Circumstances had me do so, and as no one knew me, I was elected as “the daughter of N.T.R.”. Once I entered the highest house of democracy, I never thought I would be inducted in the council of ministers. And one day, I was in Chennai attending a conference when I received a phone call prompting me to immediately come to Delhi. When I reached, I was told I would be sworn in. All this to me, proves the existence of a guiding force

No comments:

Post a Comment