Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Rant About Broken DVD Cases - IN THE STORES!

Okay, this is my first rant in a good long while, and I know I should probably do a lot more of these, seeing as how that is some of what I promise as part and parcel of the blog-er-oo here, but as of right now I haven't come across anything that is particularly rant-worthy.  Up until now, of course.

In this particular instance, however, I think I'm in the right, and I don't mind making my point in whatever way it takes for me to do so.  So as concerns this particular rant I am about to go off on, I beg you to forgive me if I start to ramble...

...like that's ever stopped me before...

Anyhoo, so there I am this weekend, doing my typical out-and-about shopping in an unnamed major supermarket chain, and as I do so, I stop by this cardboard bin/display of $4.99 DVDs and see a few copies of a particular movie I had been wanting to get for myself:

Yes, I know there are a few out there who gave this one less-than-glowing reviews, and even more that are waiting for him to release the full version of his Grindhouse movie trailer Don't (me being one of them), but this IS an Edgar Wright movie, therefore the merits must be there for that fact and that fact alone.

True, I've never read the manga this was based on so I would be coming into this cold.  However, for this kind of a kinetic trip, I don't think a whole lot of back-story is necessary.  Just push "PLAY" and soak it all in.

Here's the thing, however; I pick up the movie to read the back cover and see what extras, documentaries, this and that are contained therein, and I hear that thing that any DVD purchaser/collector dreads to hear when they pick up a DVD case:

THE DVD SCRAPING AND RATTLING AROUND IN THE PACKAGING.

Discouraging, of course, especially seeing as how the DVD was still in its original factory seal and all.  How could something get this damaged just as it was being displayed???

Oh well, I shrugged it off and found another copy right next to it, picked it up...

AND IT RATTLED TOO, WORSE THAN THE LAST ONE.

These are the kinds of odds one would hope for in Vegas, but not when you're trying to get a good copy of a DVD...jeez, the flicks I pick up at my local flea market are in better shape than this!

Taking a deep breath, I looked around and, fortunately, found another display that had five more copies of the same movie for the same price.  GREAT, thought I, as I trotted over (well, maybe not trotted) and checked them out.

ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE WERE ALSO LOOSE AND RATTLING IN THEIR CASES AS WELL.

What in the hell is this, does some poor frustrated stock boy/fanboy hate Edgar Wright or this adaptation of their favorite manga enough to destroy every one of these flicks as they came off the truck??  How else to explain that it was only the copies of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World which had this damage and none of the others?  What, is there some bias for films like The Notebook and Hope Floats and The Wiggles' Greatest Hits and whatever others were surrounding this movie to not damage them?  Is this a conspiracy?  WHAT??!?!

Needless to say, I was thoroughly disenchanted with the whole experience and stormed out of the store without my Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.  One of these days I'll get my copy, I know, but it still gets me as to how this could happen - I knew if I went to management and complained about the shape of these sealed DVDS rattling when you picked them up, they'd shake their heads and blame the factory (you know they never take responsibility for this kind of thing) and say words to the effect of , "Oh, that doesn't hurt the playability of the discs; they're fine...".

Excuse me for a second while I say #^*?+&!@&^$#!!!

I hate this store, I hate the fact that they don't check their DVD merchandise, I hate the fact that I don't have a copy of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, I hate that I'm sitting here ranting about it right now and I hate the fact, most of all, that I'm going to have to pass by this store on my way to work every day for the rest of my life, wailing and gnashing my teeth because of all this!

A pox on you!  A plague on your houses!  Death to the holder of the hammer which damaged these DVDs I wanted!  GLARRRRGHH!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to write a letter to Edgar Wright, letting him know how shoddily his product is treated in my neck of the woods, and hopefully he'll send Simon Pegg and Nick Frost my ways so as to kick some butt.

Get 'em, guys!

Dope out.

- TGWD

No comments:

Post a Comment