Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicago Bears, Greg Olsen, New England Patriots, Bengals, Chad Ochocinco, Cincinnati Bengals - Sam Hurd signs with the Chicago Bears


Wide receiver Sam Hurd has agreed to terms on a contact to play for the Chicago Bears.

The Cowboys signed Hurd as an undrafted free agent in 2006 from Northern Illinois.

Hurd, a San Antonio native, always had a goal of being a receiver, but he made his mark with the Cowboys on special teams.

A special teams captain last year, Hurd finished second on the team with 21 tackles. In 2009, Hurd led the Cowboys with 19 special teams tackles.

"I'm excited about this, no hard feelings towards Dallas," Hurd told ESPNDallas. "It's a job and it had nothing to do with the Cowboys. I would love to play for the Cowboys but I've always loved the city of Chicago and what the Bears stood for."

Hurd brings speed and experience to the Bears receiving corps. When Hurd signed with the Cowboys he was tutored on how to run routes, catch passes and be a professional from Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn. In later years he learned how to get better from Roy Williams.

Still, Hurd couldn't surpass, Patrick Crayton and eventually Miles Austin on the depth chart. Last season when the Cowboys drafted Dez Bryant, it was the writing on the wall for several players including Crayton, who was eventually traded to San Diego. Hurd asked for a trade as well, but it didn't happen. Kevin Ogletree's emergence also complicated things for Hurd, who couldn't get enough playing time on offense.

The Cowboys did make Hurd an offer to stay, but the Bears made a commitment to make him a wide receiver.

"I hear great things about Chicago," Hurd said. "I know Lovie is a great mind and I hear great things about Mike Martz. I'm excited and my mind and heart is open and I get a chance to play receiver. That's all I can ask for. If the other guy is better than me, hey, I'm all about team and I'm happy for that guy. But if I can compete for a spot I will do that." Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment